Position Description – Provides company with a source of engineering and technical authority on selection, application, use and performance of our wheel bearing products. Acts in conjunction with sales, engineering and customer personnel. Responsible for maintenance of current business within engineering expertise.
- Provides technical knowledge and analytical support through the preparation of product drawings, specifications, and/or conduct of product investigations and performance evaluations.
- Communicates directly with customer technical assistance & training to drive business growth.
- Recommend appropriate designs based on calculations, experience and testing/analysis.
- Coordinate PPAP/sample activity, drawing review, and inspection.
- Provide failure mode investigation for testing or field return bearings.
- Identify and define new project and product opportunities, in line with business unit direction
- Main contact with customers for all technical issues
- Leads and/or participates in cross-functional teams related to product launches, change requests and quality improvements.
- Project leader for assigned customer accounts
- Understand all aspects of project schedule, testing, approval status, launch timing, etc.
- Maintain contact with Product Engineers, Manufacturing, Quality, Purchasing, etc.
- Provide customer training as required
- Support internal and external quality and delivery issues
- Maintain customer binders/files for general information, drawings, approvals, application input data, specifications, etc.
- Maintain approval drawing files
- Maintain electronic customer files (shared network drive)
- Bearing Expert
- Solve customer and internal problems
- Complete basic calculations for bearing fit and clearance, life, etc.
- Create design validation plans (DVPs)
- Understand bearing failure modes for customer applications
- Conduct bearing failure analysis
- Perform bearing measurements & inspections
- Prepare written reports
- Edit reports from China for submission to customers
- Calculation summaries
- Failure analysis and recommendations
- Quality issue response (8D, 5 Why, etc)
- Test results (DVP&Rs)
- Quality Assurance Support
- Participation in customer audits of manufacturing plants
- Technical support for manufacturing
- Initial response to customer quality issues
- Review & edit quality issue responses from China
- Countermeasure development and implementation
- Technical requests to R & D Group
- Bearing recommendation
- Sample bearing requests
- Review customer requirements and drawings
- Specify full engineering part number
- Maintain RSB tracking log
- Excellent written and verbal communication / presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience communicating technical information
- Application engineering diversity (Industrial, automotive, and distribution) is a plus.
- Computer skills required: Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Willingness to travel up to 25%.
- Self-starter and good team player
- BSME or similar engineer degree preferred
- 5+ years’ experience as design or application engineer
- 2+ years’ experience directly in the bearing industry, and/or working with bearings in the automotive, industrial, or aftermarket industry with additional experience desired.
- The Application Engineer reports directly to the Engineering Director
- This job requires the ability to sit for extended periods of time, full use of a computer and keyboard, with minimal lifting of fifteen pounds or less.
Note: This job description is not all inclusive and the employee may be required to perform other duties not necessarily described in this document, but may be requested by the supervisor/manager.